I tagged Bumble for the Six Weird Things Meme. After much discussion, we decided only to list things that were weird even for a rabbit. The conclusion is obvious: he’s one weird little dude.
1. Like any rabbit, Bumble is scared of sudden, loud noises, such as turning on the disposal or the vacuum cleaner. Unlike other rabbits, Bumble is OK with these noises if you give him a heads up by calling “Fire in the hole!” before you make a loud noise. When he hears the phrase, he looks at you and tenses, but doesn’t run. If you forget to yell “Fire in the hole” and hit the disposal, he runs for his life.
Cutest arms in the west
2. Unlike other rabbits (who can literally die of fright from this), Bumble doesn’t mind loud firecrackers. When the fun begins on Independence Day, he lies down in the middle of the room, kicks his feet out, and takes a nap. No “Fire in the hole” necessary.
3. He hates my husband’s right foot. Bumble will snuggle with the left foot happily. But he will nip, dig at, and harass the right foot.
4. Bumble hates when my husband imitates the voice of Smeagol/Gollum from the Lord of the Rings. “Where is my precious Bumble?” He gets the cranky face (Bumble, not my husband) and will thump (in anger) at the voice.
5. His feet slip when he jumps on linoleum, so I bought him some small rugs so he could get a better footing. There were no problems until I brought home a scary rug.
6. Bunnies can overheat in summer, so one solution is to leave ceramic or marble tiles out for them to lie on. The tiles stay fairly cool. Not sure which tiles would stay the coolest yet be durable, we bought a couple cheap ceramic tiles and a couple of marble tiles. He will only lie on the marble tiles. Cheap tiles get foot-flicked (a very rude expression in rabbit language).
The expensive, therefore suitable, marble tiles
7. Honorable mention: last week I posted on how he uses a waiting place at salad time. That’s definitely weird enough to make the list.
How long can it take to make one salad!